N.Y., is a small rural village located about six miles southeast of the
city of Ogdensburg in St. Lawrence County. Heuvelton is the lone
village in the town of Oswegatchie, one of the four towns initially
established under the formation of the county in 1802. Early
native Indians established small encampments and some of the county's
earliest pioneers established homes in the Heuvelton area, in the
vicinity of the Oswegatchie River which wends its way from the
Adirondack foothills and gently flows through Heuvelton on its way to
the St. Lawrence River, just six miles away. The town and river
were named for the Oswegatchie Indians who also had a small encampment
near Heuvelton in the late 1700's. The name "Oswegatchie"
is Amerindian in origin, meaning "black water."
Heuvelton, N.Y. was originally called "Fordsburgh" to honor
Nathan Ford, the man who has since become known as the "Father of
St. Lawrence County," who established a second home there and
assisted in some of the area's early development. The location was
also frequently mentioned in historical records as "East
Branch," in reference to its location on the Oswegatchie River.
The first settlers to the community were the Bristol, Jones, Osburne and
By Bob LaRue
August 12, 2013
Book by local author Bob LaRue features
200th birthday celebrations in 2002 in
Heuvelton (Oswegatchie) &